Make mental health and wellbeing for all a global priority
Mental health refers to cognitive, behavioral, and emotional well-being. It is all about how people think, feel, and behave. Mental health can affect daily living, relationships, and physical health. We must treat mental health with as much importance as our physical wellbeing.
Mental health and wellbeing means something different to everyone. How do you look after your wellbeing? Here are some tips and advice on improving and maintaining good mental wellbeing.
- Connect with other people. Good relationships are important for your mental wellbeing. Try to do this in person and not over social media.
- Be physically active. Being active is not only great for your physical health and fitness. Evidence also shows it can also improve your mental wellbeing by causing chemical changes in your brain which can help to positively change your mood. Plan a walk with a friend or relative.
- Pay attention to the present moment (mindfulness). Paying more attention to the present moment can improve your mental wellbeing. This includes your thoughts and feelings, your body and the world around you. Some people call this awareness “mindfulness”. Mindfulness can help you enjoy life more and understand yourself better. It can positively change the way you feel about life and how you approach challenges.
- Journaling yields incredible benefits for your mental and physical health and cultivates gratitude. It can boost our ability to cope with intrusive and avoidant thoughts. It can help reduce depression, anxiety and improve sleeping.
- Ask for support. Talk to your doctor or another health professional about mental health problems. Ask them to connect you with the right mental health services. Speak with friends and relatives about your ongoing mental wellbeing needs.